Monday, September 13, 2010

Acapulco Mexico - Rescued By An Angel in Acapulco



Here's an interesting story about Acapulco...actually I have many but I will just tell this one.
This was before the birth of my daughter, I had taken the bus from Zipolite to Acapulco, it was 9 hours, hot and late, it was a 2nd class bus back then, the only one you could take, and it was the night bus and it was about 4:30 in the morning when I arrived. I got the taxi and went looking for rooms, my budget was low, I was looking for something $25 max...we looked and looked but there was an Artisans Market, and it was Sunday night/Monday morning and everything was taken. Finally I said, just take me to the airport, my plane leaves the next day, maybe I can change the tix...but the Airlines office was closed.

What to do? What to do?  Finally I just sat on the floor near the tix counter and starting painting/drawing, waiting...Ugh, was I going to have wait 24 hrs in the airport. A cleaning lady came by, I told her about Zipolite and the fire and how I had been living there the last 3 months and now was going home...she said she would try to find me some help.

A few minutes later man from the tix counter said that he would try to help me. He said he was off work soon and that he would take me to look for a hotel. His name was Gabriel (to his name be true, he was an Angel)

He could not pick me up in the airport space, he was driving a friends taxi and so I had to walk down a bit. I was leary but had faith. He picked me up and we drove around and around looking...nothing, everything was booked. Finally I gave up hope, I said just take me to a big hotel and I will put the $120 a night bill on my Visa. Ugh! But he said "No, let's look a little more"

The next hotel was a SUCCESS! Hotel Lilianna- $12.50 a night! Yayyyyyyy! I couldn't believe it. And that is my story of how I was rescued by an angel in Acapulco.

I have lots of  other stories of people of  how people have been so kind and gone out of there way to help me,...once a taxi driver dropped me at the bus depot and came all the way back to give me my dictionary that I forgot in his cab.

 People in Mexico are very kind. I love Mexico. I love Acapulco. For some reason...whenever I arrive I get a little teary...even now. There is something very Special about Acapulco. Yes it's a big city, and it's had some bad press lately, but I hope you will visit and give it a chance.